Thursday 7 April 2011

My latest findings; Lorna Doone (TV 2000)

Today I was quite excited when I came across a movie I had been wanting to see for quite a while. I first read Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore when I was quite young but re-read it last year, and fell in love with the story all over again. The version I bought is the BBC made for TV one which was released in 2000. I haven't watched it before so I hope it is not too much different from the book. I would love to hear your thoughts on this movie if you have seen it.

If you have never heard of 'Lorna Doone' or are curious about the movie don't worry I will be posting a review up as soon as I get a chance to watch the film. But to give you a quick 'snapshot' of the storyline here is a little paragraph on the plot.
Lorna Doone is a romantic sevententh century adventure set in Exmoor, England where the land  is terrorized by a lawless gang of outlaws; the Doones. As a young child, John Ridd witnesses his fathers murder at the hand of the Doones. Years later John, sworn to avenge his father, wants revenge on the Doones until a chance meeting with a beautiful girl with a mysterious past, Lorna Doone, the heiress of the outlaws.  

   

2 comments:

Miss Laurie said...

I love this film! The characters are so endearing and played so well by the actors. I've never read the book but assume that it's fairly close to the original story, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Lorna herself is so pure and sweet, John Ridd is brave and true and I actually found myself hating and liking Carver Doone at the same time. Actor Aidan Gillen gives Carver a rock star appearance with truly evil personality and actions. This is one of my favorite period dramas, I really like the story and how different it seem to other dramas that focus mostly on the aristocracy of the time period.

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Mel said...

Ohhhhh Thank you so much for commenting!!! I was so scared I made a mistake in buying this DVD. But after reading your comment I don't know how I am ever going to wait until the end of the day to watch this film. Thank you :)

God Bless
Tristans_Isolde