Thursday 2 June 2011

Movie Review; Miss Potter (2006)

Film: Miss Potter (2006)

Directed by: Chris Noonan

Starring: Renee Zellweger, Ewan McGregor and Emily Watson

The life of Beatrix Potter was the most enchanting tale of all 

"Miss Potter" is a beautiful film based upon the life of Beatrix Potter, the talented author who introduced the world to Peter Rabbit and his beloved friends. Beatrix (Renee Zellweger) is thirty-two years old, single and still living at home with her parents. Much to their disappointment, Beatrix shows no interest in the many young eligible men they have introduced her to, prefering to pursue a career as a children's novelist. That is until she meets her publisher Norman Warne (Ewan McGregor), whom she finds her self falling in love with.

This film is a favourite of mine, I have been in love with Beatrix's stories since I was a very little girl. I loved Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddle Duck and all of the other characters and how they seemed to come to life with every turn of the page. When I first heard this film was coming out I was so excited but as it drew closer to being released, I was a little worried that it might change my view on the stories. Thankfully it didn't, this film is simply charming, the setting, the clothing, the actors, everything was just gorgeous!

 Renee Zellweger was delightful as Miss Potter, I think she really captivated all that Beatrix was and made her such a loveable character. Ewan McGregor was fantastic as Norman Warne, he is a favourite actor of mine and I particularly love him in this film! Emily Watson played Millie Warne, Norman's sister and was just amazing. Other notable performances were:  Beatrix's parents played by Barbara Flynn (you may recognise her from Lorna Doone and Wives and Daughters) and Bill Paterson (Wives and Daughters, Amazing Grace, Little Dorrit). Norman's brothers were also well cast with Anton Lesser (Lorna Doone, Little Dorrit) as Harold and David Bamber (most recognised as Mr Collins in Pride & Prejudice 1995) as Fruing Warne. And last but definitely not least the young Beatrix was played by Lucy Boynton (Ballet Shoes, Sense and Sensibility 2008) who acted the part so beautifully!


The great thing about this film is how it allows the viewer to enter the mind and thoughts of Beatrix, seeing her drawings and the famous characters which we have learnt to love come to life on the screen. Beatrix truly was an amazing woman who captivated the world. One thing I would say though is Beatrix did experience some heartache during her lifetime so I recommend that you watch this with tissues at your side, I cry in just about every movie, but I have a feeling I won't be the only one when it comes to this film.


Below I have included the trailer for the film which I found on YouTube. Enjoy :)


2 comments:

Jujube said...

I must watch this film! I love Beatrix Potter, and this movie looks like a good adaptation on her life.

Melody said...

I loved this movie - so funny how it has "Mr. Collins" in it...;-) (And a bunch of other actors I recognized.)

It made me cry too! Although, I sort of like movies that make me cry...but it was really sad, especially since it was a true story...
When there's a movie one can possibly cry about, I will cry about it...especially if I'm watching it alone. ;)