Saturday 9 April 2011

Movie Review; Lorna Doone (TV 2000)

Film: Lorna Doone


*If you want to know more about the storyline of the film before reading the review check out my post here: Lorna Doone post #1

As I posted a few days ago, I recently bought the film Lorna Doone and I watched it last night and it was fantastic. I was so impressed! There were very few differences from the novel and which weren't even that noticeable. I was convinced this film would be a 'prettier', 'soppy', 'spruced up' version of the book however it had all the lovely grit, battles and darkness from the novel but were expertly balanced against the beautiful backdrop of the English countryside.


The actors were wonderful and I was surprised to see so many familiar faces. As soon as I saw Richard Coyle, who played John Ridd I couldn't help but exclaim "Mr Coxe" as I recognised him as the unlucky in love apprentice of Mr Gibson in 'Wives and Daughters'. Other notable actors/actresses were Barbara Flynn (Wives and Daughters, Cranford, Miss Potter), who was wonderful as Sarah Ridd- John's mother. Aidan Gillen was extremely impressive as Carver Doone who despite his evilness I found myself sympathising with, his performance was outstanding. Amelia Warner (Love's Brother, Arisocrats) didn't simply act her role she was Lorna Doone, she was beautiful, serene, kind and captured everything I always felt Lorna was in the novel.

I also thought John's sisters were both played beautifully by Honeysuckle Weeks and Joanne Froggatt (Robin Hood -TV series and Downton Abbey). And James McAvoy!!! Yes James McAvoy (Becoming Jane) had a small role, he is very cute and  looks so young- make sure you keep an eye out for him. Another smaller role I thought was played fantastic was that of Marwood de Whichehalse portrayed by Jesse Spencer, he did a wonderful job!

I was little worried about the chemistry between John Ridd (Richard Coyle) and Lorna Doone (Amelia Warner) before I watched the movie, they are one of my favourite literary couples- so I was quite worried but I loved them as a couple. Richard and Amelia were gorgeous together and despite never having thought Richard Coyle handsome or a great actor, due to the way he played the character I found myself falling ever so fast - in love with him :)

If you haven't seen this film, I highly recommend it. It is definitely one of my all time favourites (I wish I had seen it years ago) and even though I watched it only last night, I am definitely going to make time to watch it again tonight.

Have you watched any movies lately that you thought were pleasantly surprised with? I'd love to hear about it!

Love,
Tristans_Isolde

Richard Coyle as John Ridd

Aidan Gillen as Carter Doone

Amelia Warner as Lorna Doone

Jesse Spencer as Marwood de Whichehalse

James McAvoy as Sergeant Bloxham
and Joanne Froggatt as Lizzie Ridd

2 comments:

Miss Laurie said...

I'm so glad you loved this film! And it's good to hear it was so like the book! Lorna is such a beautiful character and Amelia played her so sweetly! I loved reading your review, I ditto all of your remarks!
I hadn't seen Richard Coyle in anything other than Wives & Daughters and didn't really like his character in that. I love him in Lorna Doone and I've also seen and enjoyed him in Going Postal and he surprised me even more in Prince of Persia as the brave elder son of a Persian king.
Another actor in this who pops up rather frequently in period dramas is Anton Lesser who plays Counselor Doone (Carver's father). He has such a unique voice and that's what I usually recognize first. He's really very good and is becoming one of my favorites.

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Mel said...

Thank you fo your comment! I have never hear of Going Postal and as yet haven't seen Prince of Persia I will definitely have to check them out now - knowing Richard Coyle is in it, thank you for letting me know.
I really should have written something about Anton Lesser in my review, i don't know why I didn't. He did a fantastic job and although it probably seems weird to say but I loved his hair :) everytime he came on screen I always thought 'what lovely hair'. his voice was amazing too, he said everything in such a calm gentle manner yet with such authority.

God Bless,
Tristans_Isolde